Saturday, January 22, 2011

CT Standard- English:Grades 9-12

After going through each of the websites, I came across the CT.org one and enjoyed it the most.  I was able to click on my exact content area of focus and grade level and could read all the standards expected of students presently.  Two standards really stuck out to me, one being Content Standard #4, which briefly states that, "students will use language arts to explore and respond to texts."  I like this one a lot simply because, it is important for the students of specific grade levels to know what their expectations are when it comes to discussing contemporary texts.  The other standard that caught my eye was Content Standard #3.  This one is about applying English language conventions and the simplicity of being able to communicate properly and effectively.  I believe that Content Standard #3 is simply starting to become under developed because, technology is moving along so quickly and the simple language skills are being forgotten.  I believe that in choosing Content Standard #3 I can chose activities that demonstrate the basic skills of using punctuation and capitalization correctly and effectively.  I could use activites simply as writing stories and possibly publishing a book by students that demonstrates the simple skills that they should already have inbedded in their minds.  I could come up with fun games that show "sentence starters" that have misspelled words and the children's minds can already pick up the non-sensical ways that a sentence or paragraphs do not make sense.  Some students may have trouble picking up on certain content standards because of their learning styles but, I think that doing activites that are just as interesting and creative for all students, such as making up a story in groups can be effective for all.

2 comments:

  1. I think you will find opportunities to focus on Content Standard #3 with your projects for this class - I look forward to seeing your assignments related to this standard.

    ReplyDelete