Tuesday, March 15, 2011

So Far...SO GOOD!

I have to admit, I was actually pretty nervous about having to take this class!  For the most part, I do really well with technology because I have basically been using it my entire life, but I have to admit some of the assignments scared me.  I was extremely nervous about having to make a blog, a website, and a digital story because I never had to do anything like that before.  After Prof. Langran made it so easy, I was wondering why I had never done any of those things before.  I actually really like my blog a lot because, I can just come on whenever I want and just get my feelings and thoughts out in a very informal way.  It basically is just like a diary but, for the world to see.. so you would obviously only put things on there that you want people to look at and browse through.  Also, when I found out I had to make a website it scared me because the word website to me, comes across as very complicated.  I did not realize that I can just go through the google template and hit "create site" to set up my uncomplicated website.  I was extremely impressed with how easy something I thought was so complicated was to do.  My website will definitely help me in the future because, I will use it as my "technological resume" so to speak, and can show my future employers how technologically inclined I can be.  Same with the blog, I can show my employers that I have a blog, I know how to publish posts and create one overall, and this will help me with my students as well.  Since I would like to be a Secondary Education English teacher, I will have my students obviously writing A LOT! I think having them each create their own blog and doing reflections and assignments in them every now and then will improve their writing skills.  In a wierd way, I also think that using the word "blog" with students, emphasizes less pressure on their writing because they won't see it as an essay that they have assigned and that they need to do.  They can freely go into their blog and talk about how their feeling that day, or how their classes are going or anything along those lines.  Using the different templates will also help me to identify and get to know their individual personalities, they will get to decorate their blog however they would like and let themselves shine through.  I also really enjoy doing the digital storyboard because that assignment scared me at first, too.  I was like, "Oh no a storyboard? There is no way I can manage this"...but I did!  I can also incorporate that into my teaching as well.  I have thought about doing book reports with my students and instead of having them write an essay all the time on their book, I can switch it up every so often and have them make a storyboard to better illustrate their readings.  Another advantage I have found in being able to make my digital storyboard is that my mom was actually pretty excited!  When I came home from class after learning how to make one, she wanted me to turn all our family vacation photos into storyboards and put music with them...she was pretty happy I knew how to do it.  I also plan on teaching her how to make them, that will be a fun activity for her to be able to show all her co-workers.  :)  I really like the fact that everything we do in class, is easily accessible for us to download a free trial and then we can also buy the program if we enjoy it.  My hopes for the remainder of the semester is to keep practicing how to do the things I have learned in class so that I don't forget them.  I know very well that once you do something, that does not by any means mean that you can do it in a month from now, because your brain has to keep itself familiar with it, especially if it is something brand new to you.  At this point I really do not have any suggestions, I like what we have been doing in class and I like that we receive feedback on the assignments that we do.  I am learning a lot in this class and I know I will continue to do so for the remainder of the semester!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your very thoughtful feedback. You should definitely show off your blog and website to potential employers! There have definitely been many English teachers who have made good use of blogs and found it helpful for their digital age learners because of several of the reasons you articulated. This, and digital storytelling, as you point out, may make for good alternative assessments for your students.

    Thanks for sharing your mom's reaction to your digital storytelling! I hope you get a chance to teach her to do it too!

    ReplyDelete